Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Unabashedly EMPLOYED!

I got a job! 

And it was like magic.

I applied for jobs a couple months ago and had a phone interview with HR but nothing came of it. It was the only interview I got and the only job I actually wanted although I sent in lots of resumes. And then I started working on my house full time and gave up on the job search. 

Well, the same company called me last week and brought me in for a face-to-face interview. And then they called back on Monday and offered me the job. 

And so, as of next week, I am gainfully employed. This is the first time that I will work full-time at a job (not self employed) in 5 years. I've worked part-time jobs, been self employed full time, but I haven't gone to work M-F 9-5 for five full years. 

And suddenly, even though I was so nonchalant about NOT having a job, I feel this huge relief and excitement. 

All my problems are solved. I now know where my life is headed, how much money will be coming in every month, what my work hours will be, what kinds of clothes I'll be wearing to work. I know that I'll have health insurance and vacation pay. When making small talk, I now have a pat answer for the dreaded "so, what do you do" conversation. I have a cover for all my creative endeavors. And because this job is good and pays what I wanted, I know that I'll be there for a few years at least.

Phew. Its nice to have that settled.

I wasn't ready before. I had too many things I wanted to do and try before committing to a job. Two years at one job felt like a prison or a straightjacket. Now it feels like freedom. 

Will my projects suffer? Will I have to compromise for this security? Yes. Yes. Yes. I am sure that at first I will have to slow down and adjust to fitting my projects in around a 40+ hour work week. I will have to compromise spending all day with my dog at home and I will have to be more efficient with my time on the weekends.

But I will be able to pay off debt (debt was a huge compromise to being unabashedly unemployed for so long) and I will be able to board my dog when I go out of town at her favorite fancypants boarding facility. I will be able to save up money while I work and take the vacations I want (and get paid for the weeks I miss). 

Money and Time are always at odds with each other. It is difficult to find a good balance between the two. I've had a lot of time in the past 5 years. And now I will have less time but more money. 

And I am ready for that challenge. I am ready to leave my leisurely life and rock the 9-5.

This is my last post on Unabashedly Unemployed! But I will definitely find time to continue Singlutionary. You can find me there anytime!

1 comment:

  1. This is SO awesome and give us all still looking some much needed hope.
    CONGRATULATIONS to you!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete