Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Expanding Bedtime

For the past year my waistline has been expanding. But now my bedtime is expanding too.

I've only slept a little over 4 hours the past three nights (basically since I started this unemployment schedule thingie). Things unravel after my "rush hour" and there is always a wrench being thrown in somewhere.

I am hopeful, however. I am doing this NOW so that I can have a smooth transition later. 

But one thing I am really seeing is how my time is spent. The past year I've just done stuff because it needed to be done and I didn't really pay attention to what time was going where because it was all important and it all fit. I also had a lot of spare time. There were things to do it was up to me to do them or up to me to blow them off. 

But when time gets scarce, I notice that 4 hours goes to running around town looking for the razor blade refills that go in the recycled plastic razor and swim goggles and Biolage shampoo that doesn't cost too much. I also notice the 30 seconds it takes everytime I walk from the kitchen to move the sprinkler. 

Phew! But I am getting more efficient. This new life is going to force me to cut out the things which aren't essential. And after living a life of non-essential/non-income-producing activity for the past year, I think I'll welcome that right along with the structure.

But it requires a change in my thinking.

For example email (and my sudden and shocking popularity on Match.com) takes up WAY too much of my time. I'm going to start automatically filtering match.com emails and blog subscriptions/comment updates to folders where I can check them at a designated time instead of having to plough through them all day long. 


No comments:

Post a Comment